Friday, February 1, 2013

The Female Lead

I've been having quite a dilema recently. Mainly with my MFC.

You see, I've had this fear that I would write her liek a Mary Sue. Not even a Mary Sue, but a plainly annoying character. Being a female reader, I'v had bad thoughts about MFC's that make me shake my head, face palm and roll my eyes. So when I looked to my MFC I was scared. I was scared she turn into a Mary Sue. And then I was scared she'd be a Plain Jane. And then I was scared she wouldn't be anything at all.
It really shouldn't be so hard right?!
But it is!
For some reason, females are more agressive towards female leads in books. We want them to be realistic, but amazing, but not too amazing, and definetely not perfect or the opposite of perfect and it's just so hard.

This issue made me panic a bit more when Cassandra Claire posted an answer to a question on her Tumblr. The question? "I know clary is the main character but is she meant to be a little annoying? I love the books, I just can’t stand her thought process." Click on the quite to see her lovely answer.

There's also this  little thing I found on Tumblr a while ago that goes like so:

"Male Character: i made a mistake
Fandom: oh you poor misunderstood soul
Female Character: i made a mistake
Fandom: WANTON MISTRESS OF THE NIGHT, RETURN TO THE SHADOWS FROM WHENCE YOU CAME, THIS IS NO PLACE FOR YOUR SELFISHNESS PLEASE GO BACK TO YOUR HOME ON WHORE ISLAND  "

M'kay. Now instead of "Fandom" put "Readers" And that's all you need :P

There have been female leads I love and female I hate, and yes, female leads I find annoying and also female leads I didn't even remember. There's not a secret code or check list you can write up to make them likable by everyone. The only thing you can do is write them the way they ARE. The way you think they should be. Becuase that's the best and only thing you can do. If you try to write them the way you think other people will like them, then they won't be yours anymore.

I'm finally understanding this and accepting my MFC for who she is. Took me a bit long though. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment