Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Pantser Vs. Planner

So recently, I won the 2013 Children's Writer's & Illustrator's Market book, and as I read through all the interviews from my favorite Author's, I notice sometihng...

Tamora Pierce is a pantser!  I love her books, so pantsing must be the way to go!

But wait.

Marissa Meyer is a planner...I lover her books too...

What does this mean!?

A few years ago I swore I was a pantser. Then when I looked back at my 60K Draft, I noticed how crappy it was. It was like a blob of happenings and the like, with no straight plot or reasoning. So I started re-writting. I looked at it again. and more crap!  I had no idea what I was doing. I had no idea where the story was or where it was going. I couldn't keep track of what I wrote and what I needed to write.

So I stopped. I took out a *gasp* notebook and a pen, and started summarizing all the chapters I had written and the ones I would need to add and then the ones I needed to completely re-write.

And it started to come together. Much better than before. I knew what I needed to add and take out and where the story would go and even how it would end.

I'm not a pantser... but a PLANNER!  What a revelation.

It's interesting to see all the different types of writers there are out there.

Sarah J Maas (Throne of Glass) does all her planning through music, for example.

I wonder what other crazy wayf of plotting there is~

No comments:

Post a Comment